Thursday, March 01, 2007

Add One More To The List Of New York Attorneys In Hot Water

Gwenerva Cherry, a Manhattan attorney and name partner with the firm Cherry and Marshburn has been indicted on charges of stealing $500,000 from individuals involved in real estate transactions, according to an article in the North Country Gazette, at NorthCountryGazette.org. She has been charged with second and third degree grand larceny and first degree scheme to defraud. To read more, see DA: Manhattan Attorney Stole $500,000.

See also:

(Editor's Note: I hope that some day soon the New York State Bar Association starts initiating administrative proceedings against some of its members before criminal charges are brought against its members. I hope I'm wrong, but my suspicion is that the state Bar Association only acts when reports of criminal charges are made public. In my view, the more time that passes before the state Bar Association starts initaiting and reporting on investigations of its members, the longer they maintain the appearance to the general public that they are all "asleep at the wheel".

Maybe they should impose bonding requirements on attorneys handling real estate transactions. I reiterate, however, that I hope I'm wrong, but even if I am, the New York State Bar Association still looks terrible with all these recent media reports coming out on some of its wayward members that reflects poorly on the entire profession, in my humble opinion.)

For those ripped off by an unscrpulous New York attorney and want to try getting some of your money back, check out The Lawyers Fund for Client Protection of the State of New York.
.