Thursday, September 27, 2007

Wisconsin Land Owner Threatened With Foreclosure For Failure To "Put In Her Two Cents"

In Hayward, Wisconsin, the Sawyer County Record reports:
  • Hayward resident Violet Jacobson was rather chagrined recently when she opened a letter from Washburn County treasurer Janet Ullom informing her that unless she paid the two cents balance due on her 2006 real estate taxes by Sept. 30 “plus interest,” the county would foreclose on her five acres near Stone Lake.

  • When I saw the letter, I thought ‘What did I do wrong?’” Mrs. Jacobson said. “I was disgusted. In two years, they could take the land away from me” and put it up for sale.
    It’s ridiculous,” she added with a laugh. “They (county personnel) didn’t look at it. I would spend 41 cents for a stamp to send them two cents.”

For more, see Local landowner threatened with foreclosure -- over two cents.