Sunday, July 20, 2008

Unwitting Tenants Renting From Owner In Foreclosure Evicted While On Vacation; Lose $27K+ In Belongings Dumped On Front Lawn, Some Taken By Neighbors

In Clayton County, Georgia, The Atlanta Journal Constitution reports:
  • A pair of Clayton County families were without a home and many of their belongings Friday, two days after the house they were renting was foreclosed while they were on vacation – their possessions removed, dumped on the front lawn and taken by neighbors. "It's a big mess," said Bridget Harris, one of the home's renters. "All I know is, I'm a tenant that was not negligent, and I paid my rent on time, and I have nothing."

  • Harris said personal property worth more than $27,000, including three computers, a 52-inch television, a washing machine and dryer, clothes and personal information were taken. She said that she saw neighborhood children riding her sons' bicycles. "I had a lot of sentimental things, baby pictures, that were all over the yard; things I can't get back," she said.

For more, see Foreclosure mix-up puts tenants on curb (Families come home from vacation to find belongings strewn on lawn and stolen).

For other posts involving the problems tenants face in rented homes in foreclosure, go here, go here, go here, go here, go here, and go here. equity skimming unwittingly digamma