Sunday, August 31, 2008

Home Sold Out From Under Owner Due To Loan Servicer Screw-Up; Channel 5 ConsumerWatch Comes To Rescue

In Pleasanton, California, KPIX-TV Channel 5 reports:
  • Friday would have been more than the start of a holiday weekend for Martha De Jesus and her three kids. "I was going to be homeless," De Jesus said. "I was going to have to put my kids in different homes." Her home was sold out from under her because of a mortgage mix-up. De Jesus had an automatic mortgage pay, but when Wells Fargo Bank switched mortgage sites in the summer of 2007, De Jesus says she didn't receive a notification. She assumed her mortgages were coming out of her account as they always had. "I discovered while I was Christmas shopping that in my statement my account looked a little bigger. I called Wells Fargo," said De Jesus. But it was too late. "It consisted of months of re-faxing, of calling," said De Jesus.

***

  • De Jesus called CBS5 ConsumerWatch, which called Wells Fargo. "I saw results in one or two days, in contrast to seven months," said De Jesus.Wells Fargo told ConsumerWatch that they would rescind the sale, and, in a statement, said, "In reviewing the documents she provided us just prior to the foreclosure sale, we have been able to identify a loan payment solution that would allow her to remain in the property."

For more, see Mix-Up Nearly Costs Pleasanton Family Their Home (read story) (watch video).