Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Are Lenders Proactively Offering Borrowers Cash In Exchange For Waiving TILA Violations?

An "Ask The Lawyer" Q & A article appearing last month in the Atlanta Journal Constitution posed the following question:
  • I received a letter from my lender stating that a Truth in Lending Disclosure Statement was not prepared and provided to me prior to closing my loan. I was sent forms to sign and was told that I would be sent $250, for my inconvenience when the forms were completed and returned. Is my lender buying me off for a measly $250? Can I get more? Isn’t it a pretty big offense to not provide the Truth in Lending Disclosure?

For more, see Settle for $250, or go for a possible $1,000 (Latter payoff for lender’s failure to provide form less likely, bigger hassle). missing mortgage foreclosure docs gamma