Friday, February 27, 2009

Watch Out For Masquerading "Non-Profit" Organizations Promoting "HOPE"

In Washington, Connecticut, the Hartford Courant's CT Watchdog blog posts this letter from a reader:
  • I recieved a letter from H.O.P.E (Homeownership Protection Education Alliance INC). I called the number and talked to a Gentleman [...]. He started off by telling me they are a non profit agency that helps homeowners trying to keep there [sic] homes from foreclosure. I became suspicious after he told me they could help me but it would require a $1900.00 donation. Then he asked for my social security number and banking information. I did not give him the information, I told him I would call him back.

For more, see Washington residents figures out H.O.P.E. spells SCAM.

Postscript:

The Connecticut Attorney General announced this week an investigation into the activities of a firm called H.O.P.E Alliance in response to consumer complaints against it alleging phony offers of loan modification, foreclosure rescue help while masquerading as a legitimate non-profit organization. See Blumenthal, Courtney Warn About Harmful Mortgage Rescue Deals Hitting Connecticut.