Saturday, December 24, 2016

Two Toddlers Suffer Fatal Burns From Shooting Steam From Radiator In South Bronx Apartment Rented By City From Private Landlord To Temporarily House Homeless; Weakened Valve That Uncoupled From Aging Heating Unit Under Normal Pressure May Be To Blame

In the Hunts Point section of the Bronx, DNAinfo (New York) reports:
  • Two young girls were killed [] after the radiator in their city-funded shelter apartment — owned by a notorious slumlord — suddenly filled their room with steam as they napped, officials said.

    The two girls — 1-year-old Scylee Vayoh Ambrose and 2-year-old Ibanez Ambrose — suffered first-, second- and third-degree burns over 70 percent of their bodies inside 720 Hunts Point Ave. at about 12:05 p.m., according to the FDNY and NYPD. They were both rushed to Lincoln Hospital where they were pronounced dead.

    Building resident Anne Martinez, 47, said she saw the girls' mother screaming outside their apartment after they were burned.

    The girls' parents had just put them down for a nap in their crib when a valve on a radiator came off, sending steam shooting into their room, police sources said.

    The girls were scalded and their father, Peter Ambrose, suffered a burned hand, police at the scene said.

    Both parents were being questioned at a local precinct stationhouse, but it did not appear they would be charged, sources added.
For more, see 2 Girls Fatally Burned by Radiator in City-Funded Shelter, Officials Say.

See also, Old Radiator's Weakened Valve Caused 'Freak' Deaths of Bronx Girls: Sources:
  • A weakened valve on an aging radiator caused the “freak accident” that tragically killed two infant sisters in a city-funded apartment for homeless families, DNAinfo New York has learned. [...] Sources said the valve was weakened under normal wear and tear and that it suddenly uncoupled under normal pressure when the heat was turned on, pumping scalding steam into the room.

    “There was no explosion and there was no extraordinary pressure put on the radiator than was done every day when the heat came on,” one well-placed source familiar with the investigation said. “It basically could have happened anywhere at any time.”

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home