Saturday, January 28, 2017

Another Broken Elevator, More Stranded Disabled Seniors

In Kew Gardens, Queens, NY1 reports:
  • An 87-year-old Kew Gardens woman, who did not want to be named, knows exactly how many steps it takes to get to her third-floor apartment.

    "No elevator, 43 steps," she said. That is because she is forced to get down on her hands and knees, climbing one step at a time. "Very hard. I cry," she said.

    She is just one of many seniors with disabilities living in a building on Austin Street. The elevator has been out of service since December 7, leaving residents feeling stranded.

    "Today was the first day I've been out in three weeks," said Sidney Tesher, who has lived in the building for 52 years. "I had a doctor's appointment, which, fortunately my neighbor took me down and took me to the appointment."

    For Korean War veteran Ronald Peters, staying without a working elevator is not an option. "I have medical appointments at the VA, and how am I going to get to these appointments if I live on the sixth floor?" said Peters.

    Peters cannot manage the stairs and a walker. So he's been paying out of pocket to stay at the Holiday Inn on the Fort Hamilton army base, at the tune of almost $2,700 a week. "And I want management to give me back those funds," said Peters.

    While Peters has been staying at the Holiday Inn, his wife Virginia has been stuck in the apartment upstairs, unable to climb down the six flights of stairs.

    "They did it during the Christmas holiday and New Year’s," said Peters. "OK? I'm not going to be able to see my wife for 45 days. I have not seen her since December 7."

    When reached by telephone, a representative for the building's management company PSRS Realty declined to comment.